5 Simple Ways to Create a Healthier Workspace
Obviously work is work; it can’t always be something you are excited about doing. BUT work should also be the most nurturing environment possible, and it should be filled with bits and pieces of your world that invigorate your mind and spirit.
Here are a few ideas you can apply starting next week to give your ‘work’ space a little boost!
- Move your workspace closer to a window or sunlight (if possible).
- Invest in alternative lighting for your office space (desk lamps, new bulbs, light therapy lamps, or pink salt crystal lamps).
- Decorate! Family pictures, vacations, places you’ve always wanted to go, add anything that INSPIRES YOU! The added inspiration will boost your immune system and “feel good” hormones.
- Add potted/hanging plants.Bonus: NASA research reports that plants remove certain toxic chemicals and pollution from the air indoors. They make a natural air purifier. And additional research shows that plants in your workspace can potentially increase concentration and productivity while making you happier and less stressed.Plants are even thought to clear any toxins in the air, so they make a perfect natural air purifier.
Find a chart of air filtering plants here. Some include:
- Peace Lily
- Areca Palms or Reed Palms or Dwarf Date Palms
- English Ivy
- Rubber Plant
- Weeping Fig
- Gerbera Daisy
- Switch up your seat for something a little less ‘conventional’. Try a ‘Balance Ball Chair‘ or when possible a ‘standing‘ work station (one you buy or you can absolutely create your own!). You don’t have to get to expensive or fancy — you can find lots of DIY options using ordinary shelves, side tables, boxes, books, or boards! Not your style? You can always opt for a pre-packaged solution. Heads up: I’m in the market for a standing desk myself. If you have one to recommend, let me know in the comments below!
These are just a handful of things you can try. The key is to honor your unique personality and body. What makes you feel good? Feel happier? Be conscious of what is working and what isn’t working. Most of all, have fun mixing up your routine and workspace!
The happier you are in every aspect of your life, THE HAPPIER YOUR ENTIRE LIFE WILL BE!