Superfood Fun: Darin’s Vegan Pizza
There is nothing better than finding a recipe that both fuels your body and serves as a fun, comfort food. Bet you didn’t think that pizza could be “super” healthy for you, but it can! This totally delicious recipe from my SuperLife kitchen will hit all your flavor buttons and leave you satisfied and fueled. Enjoy making this recipe with friends and family in the kitchen to add to the fun!
(Use all organic ingredients if possible)
1 “Crust” (I use large Ezekiel sprouted tortilla shells, but you can use a brand that fits your diet.)
1 tablespoon of pesto spread (pesto and olive oil).
1 favorite veggie burger (crumbled) or Tempeh
1 chopped red pepper
1 chopped shallot or yellow onion
1 heirloom tomato
1 bunch of spinach or kale
1-2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons of Veganaise
STEPS TO SOMETHING DELICIOUS
- Rinse all your veggies thoroughly.
- Chop peppers, shallot or yellow onion, zucchini, and cut up any other veggies you may choose to include. I recommend chopping the peppers and onion. You can chop the zucchini or slice it up into thin slices with a knife or mandolin. Slice the tomato.
- Cook and crumble up veggie burger (if including one).
- After oven is preheated to 350/400 degrees place your sprouted tortilla shell “crust” in the oven for only 2 or 3 minutes by itself. Your goal is to heat it slightly, NOT to toast it. This step makes the crust a little stiff and easier to work with, while ensuring the crust will not become soggy and fall apart when stacking ingredients. Don’t get distracted!
- Take tortilla/crust out of the oven.
- Spread pesto on the crust.
- Add a layer of tempeh or crumbled veggie burger.
- Add cut up red/yellow pepper.
- Add shallot or yellow onion.
- Add chopped or sliced zucchini.
- Spread Veganaise lightly on top of veggies.
- Place your developing “pizza” back in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. Watch closely at this stage so that the crust does not to get too overcooked.
- Take pizza out of the oven.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (don’t be shy).
- Add spinach/kale (cover the top of the pizza generously).
- Add the sliced heirloom tomato on top of spinach, covering the entire pizza.
- Sprinkle a pinch or two of Himalayan Crystal Salt. Add black pepper or garlic to taste.
- Put back in oven for 5-8 minutes, again monitoring the crust closely.
- Take the pizza out.
- Let it rest and cool for a few minutes.
- Cut and serve.
- Enjoy the best pizza EVER! And revel in the fact that it is fueling your body!
What do you think of the pizza? Did you follow the recipe or tweak anything to make your own new personal favorite? I would love to hear your opinion. Share it with me – and the SuperLife community – in a COMMENT below.
Love How You Live,