What is Sacha Inchi?
SACHA INCHI (Plukenetia Volubilis)
Sacha inchi is a climbing shrub plant that grows mostly in the Amazon region, especially in Peru (this remains the source with the highest quality) where it has been eaten by the indigenous people for centuries. Other countries are attempting to grow sacha inchi, including South America and the United States, however the same quality and product consistency has not been achieved yet. In tropical locations it generally grows as a vine that’s propped up or supported and produces seeds almost throughout the year. Two years after planting, the vine can produce up to a hundred fruits at a time that will have 400 to 500 seeds a few times a year. The fruit is then picked and can have up to seven oval, dark brown seeds inside (the average is 4 to 5), that are shelled out. It is used as an oil, the seeds can be roasted and eaten, and it can be consumed in a powder form (especially as a plant-based protein). This tiny seed is such an excellent plant-based source of Omega-3 that it has 17 times more Omega-3 per ounce than wild Sockeye salmon. Add in a high amount of tryptophan (an amino acid that is a pre-cursor for your body to make Serotonin — the “feel good” hormone that helps create a positive mood) and fiber, and this superfood is an excellent addition to a SuperLife diet!
Sacha Peanut, Mountain Peanut, Inca Peanut.
SACHA INCHI BENEFITS
Sacha inchi is rich in protein, omega-3, -6, and -9, alpha tocopherol, vitamin E, and carotenoids (Vitamin A), and fiber. Its unique collection of nutrients provide notable benefits for the body.
- Controls cholesterol. Sacha inchi lowers BAD cholesterol (LDL) and raises GOOD cholesterol (HDL).
- Overall immune system support and fights stress. Sacha Inchi is high in tryptophan (a hormone and neurotransmitter) that helps the brain to release stress and feel better. Also, by being so high in Omega-3, it reduces brain inflammation (no headaches).
- Improves brain function. The high concentration of Omega and healthy fats, helps the brain to continually fight inflammation; which reduces the risk of depression, fatigue, memory issue, and responses to pain.
- Improves blood circulation and lowers blood pressure. This in turn reduces the risk of cardiovascular concerns.
- Diabetes fighter. The high concentration of Omega-3 helps control glucose levels in the body. It also lowers triglycerides levels, which are high in people with diabetes.
- Bone improvement. Omega-3 assists the body with calcium absorption, which improves bone density and strength.
- Vision support. Rich in vitamin E and A, which both facilitate greater vision and less deterioration.
- Joint pain and healing. Due to the anti-inflammatory nature of the plant, it can be used to help with joint pain and rheumatoid arthritis..
- Skin and hair production. Omega-3 is essential to healthy hair and skin; and the plant is very rich in Omega-3.
WHERE TO HUNT IT DOWN
Purchase this superfood from any of the quality-assured companies that have my stamp of approval in the Supershop. You can even find it on Amazon today! You can also get your daily dose of superfoods in a special creation I developed for Beachbody called Shakeology, a superfood formula that includes more than 50 superfoods, which has transformed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.